Agendas and Minutes
Minutes - 09/30/05
Team name is The Kühabrlüst Project.
Phrase books and other software.
- Check out some of them that are for sale to get ideas
- See if there is any other similar software to our idea for the palm.
Database for the palm
- $100 one, $20 (access +), and free jdb.
- Jdb (implemented in Java) looks like the most promising.
- More simple, convenient, and easy to use than a phrase book
- More for personal/tourism usage.
- Find a phrase
- Translate phrase
- Adding new phrases of your own
- Loading/creating packages
- Businesses that may want to purchase
- How will we implement the database on the palm?
Minutes - 09/23/05
Decided on Translation Project
Have an embedded database with phrases in multiple languages
- Common Phrases
- Divided by areas where they would be useful
- Option to search by word or phrase
- eg. Bathroom or I need to go to the bathroom
If not able to find result in local database, provide option to go to a remote translator, eg. Google, babblefish, etc.
Make sure translation is bi-directional
- Only will work if user can spell things right in another language
- Lower Priority is making it easy to use
Find a way to have a local database on the palm. If we cannot have a database on the palm, consider using separate database and palm, to demonstrate how palm would work if the database were embedded. Mainly for if the only databases we can get cost money
See if we can find a way to use Unicode on the palm
- low priority
make sure we demo more than one language, for some basic phrases
Pleasure Palm is current project development name, subject to change
Minutes - 09/16/05
Tossed around ideas for project
- Game of some sort
- Improved majordomo listserv
Translator is deemed "sexy"
- Ideas for process:
- Phrases stored locally, direct translation (supply English, get whatever)
- Some connection to Alta-vista/Babblefish
- Start small!
- Implement one language translation in a fashion that would be easily expandable to other languages
- French to start?
- The Universal Translation Project
- The Sexy Translator Project
- The Translation Project
Things to discuss next meeting
- Division of duties
- Decide how exactly to implement project
- Work on team logo/final decision on team name